Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Catchin' up!

Ugh! The idea of trying to catch up with all that's happened is daunting. I'll try to keep it in a chronological order but no promises! As I sit here and type I can only hope that Elgar's Cello Concerto outlasts my typing...

I headed down to Boulder a few weeks ago and behold! Skeeter (my car) flipped over to over 200,000.0 miles. Pretty cool, eh?



While I was in Boulder, I found an apartment!! (Feel free to cheer here!) It's in the same area as I've been living in for the last two years but its a different building and its a two bedroom instead of a three. I'm currently on the hunt for a roommate. Its considerably less stressful then trying to find a place to live. The only drawback is that the lease doesn't start 'til the First so I'm going to be homeless for the first week of school.

(Speaking of school, it starts in less than a week. I can't wait simply because I can't wait to be done and graduated. Wish me luck!)

I was also lucky enough on my trip down to say goodbye to a dear friend, Angela, who has now moved to Houston to get a doctorate degree in Environmental Engineering. I hope she's doing well. Which reminds me, (and only I know how :) ) that I got contacts for the first time in late July.


One other note about my trip to Boulder. Lindy and I went to lunch at this restaurant called Bimbamboo on Pearl and it was fantastic! You make an effort to go if your in the area.

On the 9th of August, I went to the Glenwood Caverns (Fairy caves) with my roommate Ope. While we were taking timed photos with the sites as our background, my camera decided to commit suicide off of the table I placed it on. Therefore, I will be saving my money to buy a new one (assuming I can't fix it with some nitrogen and IPA). So the pictures you see here might be the last ones for a while.

As far as the actual caverns go, I was not terribly impressed with the caves UNTIL the very end. Of course they would save the best for last in interest of good tourist business, but nevertheless, I was impressed. Some of the pictures below were taken with Ope's camera phone...







At my house in Glenwood Springs there was an apricot tree full of fruit. So I decided that I'd try my hand at canning and see if I was any good at it. I picked enough fruit to fill 7 quart-sized jars. As I was canning, I ran out of syrup so I had to take the time to make more. Of course this was just enough time to let two of the jars cool down enough so that when I put them in the boiling water, they broke. So I ended up with 5 jars of apricots and an experimental apricot pie I threw together with no recipe. The pie was actually quite good! Even though I think I could have put a little more sugar in it.

So of course with the end of the summer comes the end of my experience at Fiberforge. I had a good experience and I'm glad I did it. However, I'm just as happy to be going back to school and finishing it up. I'll miss some of the people but not some of the things they had me doing.

I have now moved out of my $700,000 mansion in the mountains but not a day too late! The ceiling in the living room collapsed during my last night there. All of the insulation everywhere made quite a mess and at that particular time, I was glad that I didn't own the place. On the other hand, it was nice because I got to spend some time with the landlords, whom are quite nice, and share my apricot pie. I wish them all the best!

Something I'm looking forward to this year is being a seasonal sub in the Longmont Symphony. They've got a great season lined up and I'm excited.
http://longmontsymphony.org/FramesHtml/SeasonSchedulepg1.html

I will also be playing in the Boulder Chamber orchestra again this year. The season isn't quite as exciting but its string music which has its own level of class. I rather enjoy not having the brass and the percussion threatening to deafen me further.
http://boulderchamberorchestra.com/concerts.html

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this catches me up. Hope all is well and happy with all of you!

1 comment:

misskate said...

Go Skeeter!! Wow! I'm so impressed that she's still going :) I'm glad she's taking good care of you!

Good luck with the couch surfing.

I'm very jealous that you got to go visit some caves. I think that would be cool and I've never been. I'm sad to hear about your camera though, I like your pictures!!