Thursday, July 3, 2008

As promised...

Hello All!

In this post I have included pictures from my trips through Glenwood Canyon, my rafting trip and my quick trip to Aspen. Read on for more!

Behold! Pics from the rafting trip I went on my first weekend here in Glenwood Springs. It can't really be called rafting because it was really a morning of floating down a river with maybe one or two decent rapids. However, the trip was totally fun because the wildlife was incredible! We had a bald eagle and a blue swallow and so deer and elk all showing off for us. The pictures didn't turn out due to there being water on the lens but I've included some good ones.

The first pic is of Mt. Sopris that stands at 12,965 ft. Although, its not a "Fourteener" it has its own
claim to fame. It rises 6,000 ft in under 3 miles making it one of the most impressive vertical climbs in the country. It is also a double peak where each summit is at exactly the same elevation. Also, although unconfirmed, it is the most dense mountain in Colorado.

The second picture is a group photo of the crew, I can't remember all of their names anymore, however, my co-worker is the second one on the right. Her husband is behind the camera.










This pic is of the minor rapids we went through. One thing I will say is that the water was FREEZING!!!!! Straight from snow and/or glaciers it was at about 38 degrees Fahrenheit.










The last photo is a shot f the bald eagle that showed off for us. 'nough said.













Here I have included pictures from my bike "trip" through Glenwood Canyon. Unfortunately, they closed the bike path half way through the canyon (at Shoshone) because the Colorado River was running too high. I was really bummed cause I had been looking forward to it all week and I also had gotten up early on a Saturday morning to beat the heat. Oh well, as you can see the 9 miles I got in (round trip) were worth it. Most of these pics are just pretty and no explanation is needed

This pic is of the entrance to the canyon. However, by this point I as all ready a good 3-5 miles out of Glenwood Springs.




















































I also decided last Tuesday to take a trip down to Aspen to attend the Double Bass Master Class at the Aspen Music festival. It brought out this incredible desire to play my bass. Unfortunately, I left my Henri at my sister's house for safe-keeping during the summer since I had no idea what my living situation would be... and I had no room in my car.

Half way through the class I was completely surprised to see Edgar Meyer walk into the room. I looked around to see if anyone else had noticed, but everyone was taking it as an everyday occurance. So, not wanting to stick out, I covered my shock. Turns out he teaches there. Once I got past the initial shock I remembered hearing somewhere that he spent his summers in Aspen... It makes sense. Anyway, here is a pic of him (candidly taken, I might add) . He's the one closest to the door. For those of you who done know he is, he's the world's greatest (at least most famous) bass player.

These other pics I just took of some of the students who played. I liked the "uniqueness" of this guy's bass. But it sounded too much like a cello for my taste.










This guy was incredible. I wish I could play like him...












I'd like to go more often (they have a class every Tuesday) but the hour drive both ways kinda makes me hesitant. Plus, it'll just make me miss my bass all that much more.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: