Sunday, July 6, 2008

Yesterday's adventure

I went up to Hanging Lake yesterday. It is one of the steepest mile hikes I've ever done. It was well worth it though. It was quite gorgeous. I never knew there was crystal green water in Colorado. I thought that it existed only on tropical beaches. But sure enough, you can see every pebble and fish in the lake -- pond. The lake (or surrounding area) produces travertine. I guess its made when calcite deposits from limestone formations dissolve in water. Its a common building material. You can learn more about it on Wikipedia.

While I was there, a few crazy people who cliff dove off the waterfalls. I would've done it myself but the thought of walking back in wet clothes deterred me. If anyone ever feels like coming to visit, this would be a great morning activity.

Here are some pictures of the hike...






1 comment:

misskate said...

So pretty!! Thanks for all the great pictures :) Sounds like a fabulous summer you're having! I'm really glad to hear it.